Sunday, November 23, 2008

some changes in HK

Having returned for 11 years, some changes have happened in Hong Kong, a recognition that they're in blood Chinese. I don't want to draw any general conclusion here, just give two simple facts that I've seen.

When Shenzhou 7 landed I was in a big shopping mall, where there was a TV put up in the middle of the mall, broadcasting live the whole thing. Shoppers, old and young, stopped to crowd around the TV set. And they cheered when the shuttle safely landed, after the landing, there were still many people watching.

Tonight as I was on the bus home, a mother sat right behind me was teaching her baby girl the national anthem. I can't tell from their cantonese that they are local residents, because they could well as be from Canton. But how often do you see parents teaching their kids the national anthem on a bus in mainland China? Almost never. I happened to see one in Hong Kong.




No comments: